Orange & Almond Granola
This homemade granola is infused with amazing orange and honey flavors. It also features toasted almonds, cinnamon, vanilla and old-fashioned oats! This granola recipe makes a great low salt breakfast or snack for the kids.
Yield: 8 cups Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 3 teaspoons orange zest (from about 2 oranges)
- 2 tablespoons granulated white sugar
- 4 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1 teaspoon no-salt substitute
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil or melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup raisins, preferably golden
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, combine the orange zest and sugar. Use your fingers to rub the zest into the sugar until it’s bright orange and very fragrant. This step will ensure that your granola is infused with orange flavor.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the oats, almonds, no-salt substitute and cinnamon. Stir to combine. Pour in the olive oil, honey and vanilla and mix well.
- Pour the granola onto your prepared baking sheet. Spread the granola into an even layer. Bake for 19 to 23 minutes, stirring halfway, until the granola is turning lightly golden in color. The granola will crisp up as it cools.
- Let the granola cool before stirring in the raisins and breaking up the granola into chunks as necessary. Store the granola in an airtight container at room temperature for 1 to 2 weeks or keep it in the freezer for longer shelf life.
Optional Toppings: You can use other dried fruit such as dried apricots or cherries. You can also change up the nuts; pecans are a great substitution.