Yield: 3 to 4 pint sized jars Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 15 minutes Total Time: 30 minutes
- 4 to 5 large white or yellow onions, diced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup granulated organic cane sugar
- 3⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon finely minced thyme or rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper (optional)
- Put olive oil and onions in a large saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat stirring only occasionally; cook until golden, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add sugar and balsamic vinegar and cook until thickened and somewhat syrup-y. Add pepper and herbs.
- Ladle into sterilized half pint jars, leaving about 1⁄2” headspace.
- Refrigerate after opening, can last in the fridge for 1-2 weeks.